Should I Get Botox Treatments?
What is Botox?
Botox is the brand name of a toxin that’s produced by a specific bacterium called Clostridium botulinum. In small amounts, its ability to paralyze muscles has been successfully used in a wide variety of beneficial ways, including the prevention of chronic migraines, excessive sweating, or overactive bladder.
Its most popular use, however, is as a non-surgical cosmetic treatment. Since it blocks the signal from the nerve to the muscles, a Botox injection can make a treated muscle less able to forcefully tighten, which makes wrinkles relax and soften.
Who makes a good candidate for Botox treatments?
You may be a good candidate for Botox if:
- You have moderate to severe facial wrinkles.
- You have wrinkles in areas that respond well to Botox, such as your forehead, between your eyes, frown lines, crow’s feet, or wrinkles around your neck.
- You’re in good general health and don’t have a skin infection at the planned injection site or have a muscle or nerve condition such as ALS.
- You’re not pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have a good understanding of what you can expect Botox injections to achieve.
What are the benefits and advantages of Botox injections?
Botox injections offer the following benefits and advantages over many other types of treatments:
- Can be used to effectively treat wrinkles in many common problem areas
- Is non-surgical and minimally invasive
- Is one of the more affordable cosmetic procedures
- Can be administered relatively quickly and easily
- Produces quick results
- Can be combined with other procedures if desired
What is the treatment process like?
These treatments should be administered only by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Before you consider Botox treatments, talk to your doctor about your medical history and about any medications you may take.
Your skin may be numbed before the procedure, and your doctor will then use a thin needle to inject Botox into specific areas of your skin and muscles. The number of injections will vary depending on the number of areas being treated.
What is recovery like?
You can go back to your regular activities right after you get Botox injections, so it can even be performed during your lunch hour. You’ll be instructed not to rub the treated areas for 12 hours after your injections or lie down for 3 to 4 hours afterward.
The effects of Botox injections can usually be noticed starting within a few days, but it may take as many as five days to see the full effect. They’ll need to be repeated every three months or so.
To find out more about Botox or if you would make a good candidate, make an appointment today with Greater Miami Skin & Laser Center or call our office at 305-532-4478. We specialize in providing the safest, most effective and comfortable treatments to help you achieve your skin-care goals.