Applying sunscreen to children is just one way that parents can show love and attention. Parents know the dangers of skin cancer and sun damaged, while many children are completely unaware of the consequences of a single sunburn. The doctors at Greater Miami Skin and Laser Center work regularly with parents to educate them on the steps they can take to reduce their child’s risk of sun damage and skin cancer later on in line.
Below are just a few of the sun safety tips recommended by Drs. Martian Zaiac and Nardo Zaias of Miami Beach and Hallandale, FL:
- Use sunscreen. The first step in protecting your child’s skin when outdoors is to apply sunscreen. Not all sunscreens are created equal, however. Be sure to choose a sunscreen that has broadband protection against both UVA and UVB rays. Also, choose one with a high SPF and apply regularly as directed if spending extended time outdoors.
- Seek shade. Spending time outside is fun, but don’t forget to seek shade to protect the skin from direct sunlight. This is especially true when spending the day outside between the hours of 10 in the morning to 4 in the evening when UV rays are their strongest.
- Protect the skin with clothing. Keeping your child’s skin covered with clothing is always ideal. Darker colors provide more protection than lighter colors, and consider fabrics that are tightly woven for the best protection.
- Use hats. Hats with a brim of at least two or three inches is ideal in protecting the face from sunlight. This reduces intense sun exposure on the eyes, forehead, nose, and scalp.
- Wear sunglasses. Sunglasses with UV-blocking lenses is best for protecting the eyes and the surrounding delicate skin. If you are protecting your child’s eyes from UV rays, you are reducing their risk of developing certain eye conditions linked to excessive sun exposure and poor protection.
Connect with the team at the Greater Miami Skin and Laser Center today!
Call (305) 532-4478 to request an appointment with one of our dermatologists at our two office locations in Hallandale Beach and Miami Beach, FL. Drs. Martin Zaiac and Nardo Zaias are here to help educate parents and children on how to care for the skin and reduce their risks of sun damage and skin cancer.