Diaper Rash Treatment in Miami
Diaper Rash Treatment & Prevention Tips
Diaper rash, also known as diaper dermatitis, is a common form of skin inflammation in babies. It is characterized by red, bumpy skin that appears on a baby’s bottom. Diaper rash can be caused by numerous factors, but the most common causes include prolonged periods in wet or soiled diapers, skin sensitivity / certain skin conditions (such as atopic dermatitis), and chafing from tight-fitting diapers or clothing.
Should I see a dermatologist about my child’s diaper dermatitis?
If your child’s symptoms don’t improve after a few days of home treatment, medical evaluation might be necessary. Be aware of the following signs and symptoms and seek a medical opinion if your child’s diaper rash:
- Is severe
- Worsens despite at-home treatment
- Causes bleeding or oozing
- Occurs in conjunction with a fever
What are some tips to prevent diaper rash?
Each child’s needs are unique, but there are several tips that may help to prevent diaper rash in your child:
- Change wet or dirty diapers promptly
- Avoid using wipes or cleansing products with alcohol or fragrance
- Make sure the diaper is not too tight
- Use an ointment to prevent skin irritation
Contact our expert skincare doctors at Greater Miami Skin & Laser Center to learn more on this topic or to schedule an evaluation with us today.