Even if you eat a healthy diet and exercise, you may still have stubborn pockets of fat that refuse to budge. If that’s the case, CoolSculpting can be used to safely target these problem areas. In this blog, the doctors at Greater Miami Skin & Laser Center explain more about CoolSculpting, including whether you may be a good candidate for this procedure:
What is CoolSculpting?
The idea behind this treatment was born when scientists noticed that some children got dimples in their cheeks after they ate popsicles. The treats were freezing and eliminating pockets of fat cells.
From this observation came the idea that cold could eliminate fat cells. CoolSculpting is a non-surgical procedure that safely and precisely cools targeted areas, causing the fat cells underneath to freeze and die. Your body processes and eliminates the fat in weeks to come, yielding long-term results.
What is it used for?
This treatment is used to target visible fat bulges in areas that have proven resistant to diet and exercise. They include the following:
- Chin and neck
- Flank (“love handles” on the side of the body between the ribs and hips)
- Bra fat
- Back fat
- Breast area in men
- Upper arm
- Underneath the buttocks
Who makes a good candidate for CoolSculpting?
Good candidates meet the following requirements:
- Not obese
- Within about 20 pounds or fewer of your desired body weight
- Have one or more fatty areas that are resistant to diet or exercise
- Have a fat bulge that you can easily grab with your hand
- Not be able to pinch two or more inches of fat in your hand – In this case, it could be too thick
- Have a condition such as cryoglobulinemia that causes your body to react to the cold in more extreme ways
What are the benefits of using CoolSculpting over other treatments?
It offers the following benefits when compared to other treatments:
- No surgical preparation
- No need for anesthesia, incisions, or pain medicine
- Little or no downtime afterward
- Little discomfort
- Natural-looking results
- Results that last indefinitely
How long do results last?
Once your fat cells are frozen, they die and are processed and eliminated from your body. They don’t come back, so your results should last indefinitely. However, if you gain weight, you may gain fat in the treated area.
To find out more if you could be a good candidate for this treatment, make an appointment today for a consultation with Greater Miami Skin & Laser Center. We offer the latest, most effective skin care treatments in our state-of-the-art center.