Patients who have pigmentation on their skin may be dealing with a condition commonly known as “hyperpigmentation.” These areas are higher in melanin. Freckles, sun spots, and other colored areas of the skin may represent hyperpigmentation–and depending on how severe it is and where it is located on the skin, it can be embarrassing for patients or make them feel self-conscious. With the Greater Miami Skin and Laser Center, patients can get a definitive diagnosis and discuss treatment with our experienced providers.
What is hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is the darkening of an area of skin caused by an increase in melanin. Melanin is the pigment that gives skin its color.
What are some of the common causes hyperpigmentation?
There are many causes of hyperpigmentation, including:
- Sun exposure
- Hormonal changes, such as those that occur during pregnancy or with the use of birth control pills
- Skin injuries, such as bruises or burns
- Certain skin diseases, such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, and vitiligo
- Excessive use of cosmetics or skin care products that contain harsh chemicals
How can I treat hyperpigmentation?
There are many different ways to treat hyperpigmentation, depending on the cause. Some common treatments include:
- Topical creams: Creams that contain hydroquinone, tretinoin, azelaic acid, or kojic acid can be used to lighten dark areas of skin.
- Laser therapy: Laser therapy can be used to remove areas of excess pigmentation.
- Microdermabrasion/dermabrasion: Microdermabrasion/dermabrasion can be used to remove the top layer of skin, which can help lighten dark patches.
- Chemical peel: A chemical peel can be used to remove the top layer of skin through exfoliation and stimulate the development of new, healthy skin cells.
- IPL (intense pulsed light) therapy: IPL therapy can be used to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation.
How do I learn more about my treatment options?
If you have been diagnosed with hyperpigmentation on the skin and are located in the areas of Miami Beach and Hallandale Beach, FL, it may be time to talk to Drs. Martin Zaiac and Nardo Zaias of Greater Miami Skin and Laser Center. Our team is here to provide a proper diagnosis of common skin concerns and help patients find solutions to improve their skin’s health and appearance. We are open to new patients ready to achieve beautiful skin, even after hyperpigmentation has developed.