Many patients visit Drs. Martin Zaiac and Nardo Zaias of Greater Miami Skin and Laser Center with questions about how to care for their skin. They routinely see patients coming in with red, dry, and itchy skin. With the help of a Miami Beach, FL, area dermatologist, you can learn more about keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized to reduce the complications associated with dry skin.
Below are just a few of our recommendations for improving dry skin’s appearance and health:
- Use a humidifier: Dry air can contribute to dry skin, so using a humidifier in your home or office can help keep your skin hydrated. Be sure to clean your humidifier regularly to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria.
- Moisturize regularly: Apply a moisturizer immediately after bathing while your skin is still damp. Look for products that contain hyaluronic acid or glycerin, which can help attract and retain moisture in the skin.
- Exfoliate gently: Regular exfoliation can help remove dead skin cells that can clog pores and lead to breakouts. However, be sure to use an exfoliator that is gentle on the skin, as harsh scrubs can further irritate dry skin.
- Limit time in the shower: Hot water and long showers can strip the skin of its natural oils, so limit your time in the shower to 10 minutes or less. Use lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser to avoid further drying your skin.
- Apply a lip balm: Dry lips are a common symptom of dry skin, so keep your lips hydrated with a lip balm that contains SPF protection. Reapply the balm throughout the day as needed.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your skin and body hydrated.
- See a dermatologist: If you have tried these home remedies and your dry skin persists, make an appointment to see a dermatologist. They can prescribe medicated creams or ointments that can provide relief.
Contact Greater Miami Skin and Laser Center today
Book an appointment with our team to learn more about caring for dry skin. Call 305-532-4478 to request a visit and talk to one of our professionals at our dermatology practice.