Psoriasis is a skin condition that can be difficult to manage. If you are looking for assistance in managing your psoriasis, then you should consider consulting with a dermatologist. A dermatologist can provide you with the treatment options and advice that you need to keep your psoriasis under control. At Greater Miami Skin and Laser Center, we see many patients with this and other conditions that impact their quality of life—and how they feel about themselves. Our team of dermatologists can help patients that have been diagnosed with psoriasis manage their condition to reduce it and restore self-confidence.
What is psoriasis?
Here are a few facts about psoriasis:
- Psoriasis is a skin condition that causes red, scaly patches to form on the skin
- Psoriasis can be itchy and uncomfortable to deal with
- Psoriasis often occurs in patients with a certain genetic predisposition
- Psoriasis is not contagious and cannot spread from person to person
- Psoriasis can occur at any age, but is typically diagnosed in patients between the ages of 15 to 25
- Psoriasis first develops on areas such as the scalp, elbows, or knees before spreading elsewhere
- Psoriasis is a chronic condition that can be managed with treatments from dermatological professionals
How can I treat psoriasis?
There are many treatments for psoriasis. Which one is best for you depends on the type and severity of your disease, your age and lifestyle, what you’re willing to do, and other health conditions you may have. Your dermatologist will work with you to develop a treatment plan that meets your needs. Our doctors may also suggest treating a particular area more than once weekly or combining therapies until symptoms improve, then continuing treatment less frequently to help keep symptoms from coming back.
Treatment options may include:
- Topical medications
- Light therapy (phototherapy)
- Systemic medications
- Biological therapies
How do I learn more?
Contact Greater Miami Skin and Laser Center to discuss your needs with one of our professionals. We are open to new and returning patients of the Miami Beach and Hallandale Beach communities in Florida, and can be reached to book an appointment at either practice location by calling (305) 532-4478.